Based on a true story, the comedy “Queenpins” stars Kristen Bell and Kirby Howell-Baptiste as best friends who start the biggest multi-million dollar coupon scam in US history.
Five things to know:
- Kristen and Kirby are good friends in real life. They formed a close bond after working together on “House of Cards,” “The Good Place,” followed by the reboot of “Veronica Mars”.
- “Queenpins” also stars Joel McHale as Kristen’s character husband, Vince Vaughn as US Postal Inspector and Paul Walter Hauser as Loss Prevention Officer for a local supermarket chain. Together, Vince and Paul join forces to solve the mystery of the Coupon Caper.
- Singer-songwriter Bebe Rexha makes her film debut as Tempe Tina, an eccentric hacker hired to help with the fake coupons operation. “Touring with Kirby and Kristen, I was so nervous, said Rexha.“ This is my first time doing this. This is the first time in my life. I don’t know how the movies work. I went to the set, I was so nervous. But they made the process so fun. They walked me through it. They I was so patient. I had the best time of my life.
- Aron Gaudet and Gita Pullapilly, a husband and wife team of writers and directors, discovered the real-life story that inspired their film by searching the far corners of the internet and landed on a coupon blog that talked about coupon capers. Pullapilly remembers how she discovered the story of the multi-million dollar coupon scam: coupons scam. Aron and I were immediately drawn to the story and had to understand it better. We contacted the investigator on the case, who was able to provide us with the police reports and the criminal court case. It turns out that 96% of Americans have used coupons. There is a whole psychological aspect to coupons that we did not know existed. It all sounded so amazing and over the top, and we knew the story had the makings of great comedy.
- “Queenpins” is now airing on Paramount +.