Burkina Faso investigates mine flooding as search for eight workers drags on


After a visit to the site on Sunday, Burkinabe Prime Minister Albert Ouedraogo said those responsible for the mine had been banned from leaving the country while investigations were underway into the cause of the accident.

“Precautionary measures have been taken to prevent mine officials from leaving the country and firm instructions have been given to the Minister of Security to this effect,” said a statement from the Prime Minister’s Office.

Trevali said he received no official communication but was aware of the prime minister’s comments. The company is also investigating the cause of the crash, he added.

“Trevali’s senior management remains at the Perkoa mine and oversees active mine dewatering and rehabilitation work,” said Jason Mercier, the company’s director of investor relations.

“Trevali continues to work at full capacity, around the clock, to locate missing workers,” he said. Reuters.

In a previous statement, the company said that while most underground workers were able to evacuate safely, the eight missing workers were working below the 520 level, 520 meters (1,706 feet) from the surface, at the time of the incident. flood.

There are two chambers of refuge below the 520 level designed in case the miners are trapped, but the company said it does not know if any of the missing workers were able to reach them.

(By Thiam Ndiaga and Nellie Peyton; Editing by Bill Berkrot)

Previous Top 10 Python Jobs Developers Should Apply for at FAANG Companies
Next Google users can omit personal information: NPR