Do you receive The Inman Agent Advantage? Make sure you subscribe here.
As agents shy away from buying leads and focus more on getting organic leads, boosting your online presence in 2022 is a smart move, with one key consideration: video.
According to Cisco, by 2022, videos will account for 82% of all consumer Internet traffic. The amount of video consumption continues to accelerate as we reach new heights with the pandemic and more working from home than ever before.
Let’s be honest you know yourself should create more video content to reach these potential customers, but where to start? Here, I’ll explain how to identify the content that your future customers will love, create videos that will grab their attention, and post them for maximum exposure.
How to Identify Content Your Ideal Customers Will Love
Knowing the type of videos that will perform well is easier than you might think. Finding agents on YouTube in markets similar to yours will reveal the video topics that will suit your market.
Here’s a simple process for finding your first three or next three videos to shoot:
- Search for “(city similar to your market) real estate” on YouTube: By entering this in the search bar, you will immediately see the most popular videos for that search term. Some of these best videos will be from realtors.
- Click the link to the agent’s YouTube page: Instead of clicking the video link, click the hyperlink to the agent’s YouTube page. This is where data mining begins.
- Click on the videos tab: Once you have arrived at the agent page, click on the video tab. Once you’re on the video page, click on the drop-down tab to the right that says “Sort by.” Once the drop-down tab is open, click on the most popular to sort the videos by the most popular at the top. This will reveal the top performing videos for that agent. These are your best options for modeling your first videos afterwards.
Here are some of the popular top performing video titles for several realtors on YouTube.
- Pros and cons of living in (your city)
- 5 tips for moving to (your city)
- 7 best neighborhoods (in your city)
- Cost of living in (your city)
- Moving to (your city)
You don’t need to recreate the wheel. Use the data available from the results of other agents. When you model what works in other markets and apply them to your city, you have the recipe for success.
How to create quality videos
Many people are overwhelmed, thinking that they need expensive equipment and videographers to shoot high quality videos. While these are useful items, many agents generate results just by using their iPhones to record their videos.
Here are the essentials, from the basics to film-quality production:
The first thing viewers notice is the visual presentation of your video. In many cases, you can improve the lighting by simply facing the sun or a natural light source in the room where you are filming.
When you place natural light behind you, it creates shadows and an undesirable visual for your viewers. This adjustment alone can make a huge difference.
Another inexpensive way to improve lighting is to use soft white lights or ring lights. You can buy both through Amazon with a price that starts at around $ 25. A good ring light should cost under $ 100 and provide you with everything you might need for lighting when creating content.
Audio is the second thing viewers notice when pushing your video playback. Most viewers will immediately skip to the next video if the sound is poor. If you are in a controlled environment with little outside noise, shooting from your iPhone may be adequate.
Lavalier microphones with 8- to 10-foot cords that attach directly to your iPhone are a great way to enhance audio for under $ 30 if you’re recording with your phone.
The next step is a wireless lavalier microphone that attaches to a camera. These will cost around $ 250 for a good set of microphones and the receiver. This is the configuration we use for our video production.
IPhone creates quality videos and in most cases it is more than enough to create content. But if you’re looking to improve the quality of your content, upgrading to a camera is the next logical step.
We are using the Sony A7iii with an 18-105mm lens. This camera and lens setup costs just over $ 2,500. There are cheaper options, but this camera offers the best range of use and professionalism that we desire.
4. Video formatting and editing
The ability to edit your videos to provide professional transitions will improve your customers’ viewing experience. The format I use is a short intro, intro bumper, main video content, and end bumper. You can see an example of this format in the video above.
The intro and outro bumpers can be developed on your own or purchased from a site like Fiverr.com for under $ 25. Just go to Fiverr and search for video intros and outros.
This brings us to the editing process. You can also buy editing services from a site like Fiverr or Upwork. Prices range from $ 20 to around $ 150 per video. If you go this route, test a few editors. Once you’ve found one that meets your quality expectations and budget, build a relationship.
Editing videos on your own is easier to learn than you might think. If you are looking to edit your videos yourself, start by watching videos on YouTube related to video editing. I used YouTube videos to teach myself how to edit my own videos when I first started creating them.
Editing software is essential if you plan to do your own editing. A few options for editing software include iMovie, Camtasia, and Adobe Premiere Pro. We use Adobe Premiere Pro because it gives us the most powerful and professional editing options we can find.
How to view your videos
The best videos in the world are useless if you can’t present them to your ideal audience. The two main ways to maximize your video’s exposure are through YouTube and social media. Optimizing your YouTube and social media posts can make the difference between a video without exposure or potentially viral.
YouTube is the most important place to host all the videos. As the No. 2 search engine in the world, you can’t match the ability to drive organic traffic on YouTube.
There are, however, a few essential steps to improve the likelihood that your ideal customers will see your video. The exposure your video receives is determined by the title, description, tags, and thumbnail.
Your video’s title, tags, and description should include as many keywords or search terms as possible. This tells YouTube’s algorithm what this video is about and who it will benefit from.
There are several apps that can help you identify the best possible titles, keywords, and tags for your videos. TubeBuddy is the app we use to get invaluable optimization information.
The thumbnail is the photo found by the video description, and it is an integral part of optimizing your video. An eye-catching thumbnail increases click-through rates and can make or break a video’s exposure and reach. This is because the YouTube algorithm rewards videos with higher click-through rates.
A free tool for creating thumbnails is Canva. Once on the site, look for the YouTube thumbnails. This will bring you to a lot of template options for you to choose from.
2. Social networks
All social media platforms are increasingly promoting video content. This creates an opportunity for you to gain additional exposure if you know how to optimize your video presentation.
Here are some keys to make sure your video is found:
- Use hashtags: Hashtags are the tool people use to find specific types of content on social media. Apps like Hashtagify and All Hashtag provide hashtag suggestions, making the process of selecting the perfect hashtags easier and more efficient. Using the best hashtags for your content can make a huge difference in the number of views your video has.
- Download directly from the platforms: The main goal of the social media platform is to keep users on their sites for as long as possible. By uploading a link to your video on YouTube, you are telling users to leave the social media site and go to YouTube. This is an organic traffic killer that you can easily avoid. Instead of the link to YouTube, upload your video directly to the social media post. This gives the platform the video content it wants and the posts that will keep users on its site. This adjustment alone will dramatically increase the number of views of your videos on social media.
The value of video content for real estate agents will only increase in the future. If you’re uncomfortable shooting a video, it’s time to accept the discomfort and act anyway. Growth and comfort cannot coexist.
By identifying the content your customers want, shooting quality videos, and positioning them in front of your ideal customers, your business can only grow.
Jimmy Burgess is the Director of Growth for Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Beach Properties of Florida in Northwest Florida. Connect with him on Facebook or Instagram.