Curious to know if there are people who look like you? You can use a face search to find similar faces. Facial recognition technology can also help you find online profiles based on camera images or still images.
Fortunately, you don’t need expensive software for a reverse image search. From identifying phone numbers to looking for lookalikes, search engines can do a lot of cool things for you. You can use a facial recognition search engine to search the Internet for similar faces. If you’ve never heard of a face search engine, we’ll tell you which ones you can use.
1. Google Image Search
Google is a powerful search engine that helps you find almost anything you want. The most popular search engine you can use to search for faces (or similar images) is the Google Images search engine. It’s the same as using Google as you normally would, but instead of performing a search query by inserting text, you upload an image.
- To use Google’s reverse image search, go to Google Images.
- Select the camera icon at the right end of the search bar.
- You can either insert a URL to an image or upload an image for your computer. Then select the Search by image button.
Once the image is uploaded, Google will try to find similar images or look-alikes. However, Google also offers face detection on the Google Photos app. You can’t use the Photos app to search for lookalikes, but you will be able to find a person’s or even an animal’s photos stored on your iOS or Android device or in the cloud.
Yandex is the equivalent of Google in Russia, but not very popular elsewhere. Yandex works much the same as Google, even when it comes to face search. I did a face image search on Yandex and to my surprise the results were more accurate than Google.
- Go to Yandex Pictures.
- Select the camera icon in the right corner of the search bar.
- Similar to Google image search, you will have the option to search for an image by inserting a URL or uploading a file.
3. PicTriev: Celebrity Face Search
If you want to find your celebrity lookalikes, use PicTriev so you don’t have to sift through countless other social media selfies of people who look just like you. PicTriev is an image search engine that was designed for the sole purpose of finding celebrities that look just like you. Unlike Google and Yandex, it has no other search tools.
However, PicTriev’s algorithm has a counter that tries to determine how masculine or feminine a person looks in the photo and estimates their age. To search, you will need an image in jpeg format and less than 200 KB in size.
- Go to PicTriev.
- There is no search bar like Google or Yandex. The options to upload the image are halfway down the screen. Click on the Upload an image button or insert a URL for the image. Then select To research.
PicTriev will use its search technology and give you a list of 10 celebrity lookalikes. If you don’t know who a celebrity is, click on the picture and it will take you to their Wikipedia page. The facial recognition search engine also gives you a percentage of how masculine or feminine your face is in a photo and estimates your age.
Betaface is similar to PicTriev. Like all facial recognition search engines, you upload your photo or insert an image URL. The search engine will then attempt to identify similar photos based on your facial features.
You can choose to compare faces if you want to look at other images you’ve uploaded, search for celebrity lookalikes, or search Wikipedia for faces that look similar to yours.
- Go to Betaface.
- Select the Custom download button or insert a URL. Then select the Start detection button.
- Scroll down and select the image you uploaded. Next, select one of the options depending on whether you want to compare faces, search celebrities, or search Wikipedia.
Once you’ve done that, you’ll see the search results at the bottom of the page.
5. Bing Image Search
Bing is Microsoft’s search engine and one of Google’s main competitors. Bing has a lot going for it, and it also has a reverse search that you can use to find similar photos online. Like Google, Bing doesn’t show matches, just similar photos.
However, unlike Google, Bing only displays similar photos and not URLs containing similar images. Also, Bing does not find as many results as Google.
- Go to Images from Bing.
- Start by selecting the camera icon to the right of the Bing search bar. You can either upload a photo, take a photo using your camera, or paste an image URL.
You will see the results appear automatically.
TinEye is a simple reverse image search engine. It works more or less the same as any other tool on the list.
However, it only searches for matching images rather than similar photos. This makes TinEye a great tool if you are looking for your images to be used elsewhere on the internet without your permission or if you suspect a scammer is using your image to scam others.
- Go to TinEye.
- To search for similar photos, select the To download and upload an image or paste a URL for the image.
Don’t be surprised if you know your image is in use somewhere and TinEye can’t find it. TinEye states on its FAQ page that it is unable to crawl multiple websites. TinEye isn’t the most efficient tool, but should get the job done.
Run a face search for fun
The websites listed here work well and are free. However, if you want something more powerful, consider using a tool like PimEyes. In most cases, however, you won’t need a paid or robust tool, especially if you’re just killing time.
Even if you don’t suspect a scam, running a face search can be a good way to kill a few minutes. It’s interesting to find out who else has a face like you. If you end up finding your name on unwanted websites, there are things you can do to make your name disappear from those websites.